Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
manic

Australia
299 posts
manic has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/03/19 :  20:47:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage  Reply with quote
Promoters are already having happyhard/ hardcore rooms in Sydney, Back to Basics is one to mention. From what I read from this site, Area 51 comming up next weekend is a happyhard/hardcore party. I'll be going along to that one, got to support the cause.

I think something to consider in this discussion is how do you define festival? Is the amount of people that attend a factor in defining the word? Is it just another name for a party? Or is it something more? If it is just another name for a party then it would seem that the size of the crowd would not be a factor. However, I think a festival is something more than this.

A festival can be many different cultures/ communities coming together. An example of this is any capital city arts festival, like the Sydney Festival in January. A festival could also be just one community coming together. There are many groups in the community whom has festivals such as religious groups and groups based on a persons bloodline. Festivals can be many things. A festival in the rave culture to me would seem to be a 3 day parte. Here there is also a sense of community because people who are there for the length of the festival make it their home for the three days or however long the festival is on for.

I also think that a group of 100 or so happyhardcore ravers is a community. If there is communication throughout the group a close community. If this community comes together then why can't it be called a festival?

In order for the community to grow, I agree with Lusive, that some oldskoolers who used to be in the happyhard scene need to make a cotribution or show some support, right from the top down. Maybe that will happen. Maybe DJs will start playing happyhard at raves again.

I do think happyhard will always be around and prehaps people from the different happyhard communities in the different states in Aust. could meet up and discuss this issue.

" Hardcore is a feeling, not a fashion" DJ Scott Brown

I was sent to outer space to find another happy place. Now i'm left here all alone, a million miles away from home.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
spry

Australia
39 posts
Posted - 2002/03/19 :  22:23:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
I think something to consider in this discussion is how do you define festival?

Well i was going on the original post:

quote:
An Australian HHC Festival like Advent*Jah and that sort but totally dedicated to the happy hardcore...

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/19 :  22:28:09  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
the shooting at the graffiti hall of fame

Gah :/ sounds like garage in the uk atm
seems there cant be a big garage event without a shooting.. ****s

"ENERGISE"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

ket

Australia
52 posts
Posted - 2002/03/20 :  22:30:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Lusive: I'm from brissy.... well caloundra actually... but same diff really.
Yeah, I know a big Happy Hard festival probably wouldn't be a goer but it's a nice thought.. I was thinking more of a smaller size but with the length of a festival and the dedication to only HHC... that's what I meant originally...

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/03/21 :  22:08:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
There seems to be a decent amount of people that support hardcore in brisbane but they are too passive to get off their arses and do something about it.. I for one am willing and motivated, which i once proved.. but I was let down by a lot of people who considered themselves "hardcore supporters", but infact just proved to be unreliable.

The only hardcore sound that makes an appearance in brisbane, except when scott brown/hixxy come over, is hard noisy gabba (and a lot of its 3/4 timed too). I have nothing against it but i will admit that i cant listen to it for more than half an hour before i start getting pissed off. If i'm like that then i can imagine a lot of people, who would normally support hardcore, feel the same way and dont want to come to events. If this is all we have to represent hardcore in brisbane then i dont blame people for not having an open mind about it.

I'm working my way up to a position where i can play happy hard at regular events.. basically so that this great music can be heard (again). Hopefully, once this happens we can see more happy hard and freeform oriented events showing their faces in the future.

As for sydney, i am aware that the state of your scene is much much better than ours. :P

but not for long!!!! (i'm dreaming i think)

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

manic

Australia
299 posts
Posted - 2002/03/23 :  01:03:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage  Reply with quote
Maybe it could get back to the days were Brisbane/ QLD happyhard DJs were supported down here and I assume this happen in Brisbane as well. By the way what happened to DJ Angus?

As for the shooting at the graffiti hall of fame. The party was I think called Raveland and it was a happyhard/ hardcore party with some hardhouse. I wasn't there, but, of coarse it made the news. The hall of fame is great, if anyone is in Sydney I'll be glad to show it to them. No parties are meant to be held there anymore since the council took the owners to court and had them shut down permanently.

I was sent to outer space to find another happy place. Now i'm left here all alone, a million miles away from home.

Edited by - manic on 2002/03/23 01:11:17
Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  03:03:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
manic: I would LOVE it if brisbane hardcore dj's could start playing interstate.. and vice versa.. we occasionally get Fenix to come and play up here. This weekend Paul Holden is playing at Advent*jah, so that should be a great set (i'm only going if i can get in free... this 75$ for a rave is ********).
I'd also like to see Menis and Dair comming up here, but the rest of brisbane prolly doesnt even know about them.

As for Angus, which one do you mean? The Brisbane one or the Adelaide one? The brisbane one is still around but i think he just plays house.. or a mixture of stuff.. you dont ever hear much of him though.. the occasional pic in "scene mag" etc.. i think he went a bit hard on drugs at one stage.. and kinda fell out fo the djing scene. Like i said.. still around but not playing hardcore (or supporting it)

Thief on the other hand.. claims he still supports hardcore. I;m gonna hit him up with a demo and see if he really wants to support happy hard by having a happy hard dj regularly at his system 6 events.

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

manic

Australia
299 posts
Posted - 2002/03/28 :  00:20:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage  Reply with quote
Yeah Lusive it would be good if the two scenes good work together. It would be great if DJs from Brisbane could come doen and support partes in Sydney and vice versa. I might be throwing a free parte in the next year or so, I'll keep you posted.

Fenix is a great DJ, he plays happyhard in the main rooms at all the big partes down here and puts on happyhard/ hardcore partes. I don't know what the scene would be like without his effort.

I agree with you Lusive about the cost of the partes these days, its getting out of control. Maybe that has a bit to do with public liability insurance, if the promoters take it out! But it does seem the cost of partes keep spiralling up when other costs in the industry seem to not to increase as much. Records for instance have not that much since 1994 and equipment prices remain very competitive. Is a rave worth $75? We are having Advent*joh down here as well, I don't know the price to that, but, i'll try and find out for you.

The question about DJ Angus was the Angus from Brisbane. Cheers

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/03/28 :  20:22:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
manic: Thaks, i'd apreciate it if you'd keep me posted.

As for Fenix, i'm glad the guy stuck with it because i really at one stage never expected to see happy hard make a comeback. I thought it was lost for good.. which is sad because i was too young to see it in full effect anyways. Hardcore was dead before i could legally get into parties :(

But now it doesnt look so far off, before we'll see hardcore (freeform, happy hard, gabba, oldskool) going interstate.

Advent*Jah: The tickets were 65 not 75 sorry.. still i'm not going unless i can score a freebie.. the reasoning aparently is that the public liability was raised 3 fold this year.. among other things... still its crap..

Angus: I found out he plays House, Nuskool breaks (obviously not very good ones or very well cause i never seen him), and old funk. As for WHERE he plays.. i couldnt tell you.. i never ever see him.. not cause i dont want to though

pixster
Starting Member

Australia
1 post
Posted - 2002/04/02 :  22:33:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
The problem i've found is that no one seems to know exactly what happyhardcore is! At the raves i've been to when they put happy hard on everyone goes off their nut, I definately could last 8 hours on it! In fact when i'm starting to wear out happy hard picks me up.

The sydney population needs to be educated in happy hardcore first before an all happy event would work. But i would definately go regardless.

Unless of course we conned anabolic frolic to come out here :)

Happy hardcore all the way!

manic

Australia
299 posts
Posted - 2002/04/03 :  15:05:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage  Reply with quote
So a good MC promoting happyhard at the party while happyhard is being played might be the way to go?

rAsPuTiN
Starting Member

Australia
8 posts
Posted - 2002/04/03 :  23:16:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
every week in sydney u can find an event which is predominantly made up of hardcore. These events which play a lot of happy hard also have a good mix of hardcore, gabber, oldskool, maybe some nrg etc. what more can u want?
A whole night of cheesy happy hard would be shit. Bring on the hardcore :)

"Nobody's ever died from smoking marijuania. Some nights I've tried and you just can't do it." Woody Harrelson.

TweekiN

Australia
321 posts

71 hardcore releases
TweekiN has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/05/02 :  17:45:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TweekiN's homepage  Reply with quote
Powerhouse (sam) started out like all other promoters.. 800 capacity shity venue.. like utopia 1.. NOW all he cares about is the $$$$ not the ppl.. not even the music...
WHEN WILL THEY LEARN THAT IT'S NOT ALL JUST FOR PROFIT

Go hard or GO HOME!!

Go hard or GO HOME!!

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/05/02 :  19:50:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Sure Powerhouse has become bigger an' all, but it still throws down some quality parties. In my book Godspeed 3 and the Once Upon A Time series rank as some of the best raves in Sydney's recent memory.

manic

Australia
299 posts
Posted - 2002/05/11 :  00:29:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage  Reply with quote
Powerhouse productions are one of the best production groups and if they were not in the scene then there may have not been a scene at all. It seems to me that is they were just concerned about money they would not be inviting international DJs to their parties. Also there is a big risk in putting on parties and why shouldn't somebody be rewarded for their enterprise. Remember it only takes one party to be shut down and you start losing your support.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page