Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements

Check out my new tune!

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
frozt

United States
372 posts
frozt has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/08/13 :  06:25:57  Show profile Send a private message
Just finished this bad boy. Any comments on changes would be nice seeing as this is my first real remix. From the ride home from my girl's house I spotted some problems I'll fix tomorrow morning.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1038955/02%20Hot%20%27n%27%20Cold%20%28Frozt%20Remix%29.m4a

Alert moderator

Edited by - frozt on 2009/08/13 06:55:08
DjSakari

United States
383 posts
Posted - 2009/08/13 :  06:38:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjSakari's homepage
Forum code faillllllll but decent track ;p

Needs to be mastered properly though.

Me and Lorenzo are working on some hardstyle tracks. We'll have them up sooner or later ^-^

Alert moderator Go to top of page
frozt

United States
372 posts
Posted - 2009/08/13 :  06:54:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
any suggestions other than the mastering?

and what is proper mastering..

Edited by - frozt on 2009/08/13 06:57:48
DjSakari

United States
383 posts
Posted - 2009/08/13 :  06:59:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjSakari's homepage
Kinda hard to explain since i don't know much about mastering. You can just tell the difference between a properly mastered track and an unmastered track

TechnoCal

Canada
48 posts
Posted - 2009/08/13 :  08:00:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TechnoCal's homepage
Hey man I liked the track but yes, its not mastered properly. Someone on her will correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not great at mastering yet but it seems like you need to boost your bass line you can't really hear it most of the time so pull the mid frequencies up on those ones. Also, try to turn down the off beat gated synth you've placed on top of the bass it is overpowering which may also be why you can't hear the bass. Check my new ones out hope you like em.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TechnoCal

Newest track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4vafmCD2WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i-Ud_ujeVA

frozt

United States
372 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  08:41:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1038955/hot%20n%20cold.mp3

bought a book about dance music creation and production and hopefully it helped.

Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  08:46:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjSakari:

Me and Lorenzo are working on some hardstyle tracks. We'll have them up sooner or later ^-^

we can always dream....

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  10:50:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
Agreed on the mastering. In fact, has this even been mixed down in any way?

The bass seems to thin, it doesn't have and drive in it. It has a nice layer to begin with but that disappears after the intro - I'd keep that in to add some character to the bass. The kick seems to vanish in the mix too. Need to work on the piano too - what are you using for that? Maybe look at adding some reverb and delay to add some movement on the notes.

When the main vocal kicks in it's badly out of time too.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's my opinion of it. With some more work on it it could be a fairly decent piece of work. Gives me an idea to maybe try and have a go at the remix myself *ponders*.

Edited by - Mortis on 2009/08/16 12:24:42
Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  11:26:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
Must agree with Mortis. Vocals out of timeI think the piano does sound too dry and dull but also that the melody needs changing, at the moment it just copies the vocals and sounds quite boring. And the bass is pretty basic sounding.

Also the track sounds really weird. Like everything has been doubled up and panned harshly left and right. Including the bass, kick and breaks by the sounds of things. Loading up into Cubase and putting Ozone on it and switching it to low pass the track confirms it. Kicks and the low end of your Bass (sub) should always be mono. As should the low elements of a break. You're trying too hard to get a wide stereo mix and not going about it the right way.

I do however like the stabby part at 2:40.

quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's my opinion of it. With some more work on it it could be a fairly decent piece of work. Gives me an idea to maybe try and have a go at the remix myself *ponders*.

Mortis going over to the dark side? Oh noes

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  11:34:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Meathead:

Shocking thought eh? Well not as shocking as what I made when I had a little go at it just now

Suffice to say that I won't be doing anything more with it *throws the flp in the direction of the bin*

Now where's my Lady Gaga acapella....

Edited by - Mortis on 2009/08/16 11:36:44
Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  11:43:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
Oh god no

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  18:00:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
quote:
quote:

Now where's my Lady Gaga acapella....

:O!! noo!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

frozt

United States
372 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  19:11:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
quote:
Agreed on the mastering. In fact, has this even been mixed down in any way?

Yeah, i've tried getting everything to peak around -3db.

quote:
The bass seems to thin, it doesn't have and drive in it. It has a nice layer to begin with but that disappears after the intro - I'd keep that in to add some character to the bass. The kick seems to vanish in the mix too. Need to work on the piano too - what are you using for that? Maybe look at adding some reverb and delay to add some movement on the notes.

So to go about the bass, add another layer over it, or change the bassline, or bring it up in the mix. What are you really saying about that? For the Piano someone posted a link to a piano vst and I just grabbed it off the site and have been using it. I know Nexus has piano patches but I haven't tried them yet.

quote:
When the main vocal kicks in it's badly out of time too.

I tried to get when she sings "hot" to hit the first beat so when she says "you're" it's on the end of the last bar.

quote:
Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's my opinion of it.

quote:
Must agree with Mortis. Vocals out of timeI think the piano does sound too dry and dull but also that the melody needs changing, at the moment it just copies the vocals and sounds quite boring. And the bass is pretty basic sounding.

I'll try changing what the piano plays to something different.

quote:
Also the track sounds really weird. Like everything has been doubled up and panned harshly left and right. Including the bass, kick and breaks by the sounds of things. Loading up into Cubase and putting Ozone on it and switching it to low pass the track confirms it. Kicks and the low end of your Bass (sub) should always be mono. As should the low elements of a break. You're trying too hard to get a wide stereo mix and not going about it the right way.

I've been using Ableton Live and my dance book talking about getting a stereo separator or something like that and so I threw it into Pro Tools and looked up a Stereo Tool and put it on. Listening to it now it doesn't sound to great haha. How would I go about it in the right way?

HardcoreHarryUK

United Kingdom
100 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  19:59:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit HardcoreHarryUK's homepage
agree with all thats been said.
it sounds so thin its just wrong.

if i was you i'd wipe and start again.

keep bits u like.. like the cool break beat and if u have to use the pink vocal (grrr) then make sure the timing right.. as its one beat to far in.. and thus out of time.

in terms of track structure (bar the vocal) you're kinda there.

but dont be man enough not to wipe and start again.. every track written is a lesson learnt!

peace

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  20:24:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by frozt:
So to go about the bass, add another layer over it, or change the bassline, or bring it up in the mix. What are you really saying about that?

Add another layer. Keep your sub and add a sort of mid range fuzzy/buzzy layer and filter the two layers - low passing and high passing respectively.

quote:
For the Piano someone posted a link to a piano vst and I just grabbed it off the site and have been using it. I know Nexus has piano patches but I haven't tried them yet. I'll try changing what the piano plays to something different.

I fear that may have been me. The S1? You can't leave it totally dry and playing, what sounds like, one note each time it hits. Add some FX. Reverb, Delay, Tremelo, Vibrato etc. Just add a few variations on the notes. Keeping the piano playing the general riff the vocal plays could sound good, but with a few variations.

quote:
I've been using Ableton Live and my dance book talking about getting a stereo separator or something like that and so I threw it into Pro Tools and looked up a Stereo Tool and put it on. Listening to it now it doesn't sound to great haha. How would I go about it in the right way?

A stereo enhancer is fine on sounds higher up the frequency range IE rides, hats and other highs can be panned widely (don't over do it), and leads and snares can also be panned to an extent (really don't over do it). But things like Sub basses and kicks should always be mono IMO. It can sound good for effect panning them and widening them in parts but overall should be kept central/mono.

Edited by - Meathead on 2009/08/16 20:25:05
Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Project-Industrial has attended 24 events
Posted - 2009/08/16 :  20:50:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
it sounds empty.. intro into main is crap (the loop sample for your intro cutted off bad, least sounds like a premade sample) as mortis said the vocals are out of sync.

heres how to sync a vocal bit in fl (think ur using that?)

use some effects or so to fill the lead and such up.. it sounds (as said before) empty and dry.. the 'melody' is pretty fit but maybe put another layer that is half a second behind to fill gaps? or put a delay bank effect? some reveerb? would make a world of diffrence

http://www.project-industrial.com
http://www.discogs.com/label/Furious+Monkey+Records
http://www.furiousmonkeyrecords.com/

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page